Intern, Software Engineering / Human Factors
Country:United States of America
Location:OT494: 5FS - Farmington, CT 5 Farm Springs, Farmington, CT, 06032 USA
OTIS, a United Technologies company, is the world leader in reliable, efficient and technologically advanced elevators, escalators and people-moving systems. Our revolutionary Gen2® elevators, energy-saving ReGen™ drives and NCE “green” escalator have clearly set the industry standard for innovation, safety and performance. More than 2.4 million Otis elevators and escalators are currently in operation throughout 200 different countries. We are proud to have a global team that continues to rise to the challenges of a fast-moving company. Together, the people of Otis are creating new ideas and opportunities by collaborating across time zones, geographies and cultures. So just imagine where we can take you!
Each day, our team is working to meet some of the most unique and exciting global challenges. In order to maintain our role as a global leader, we continue to seek talented, ambitious individuals to join our team. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment and are looking for an opportunity to apply your expertise, then we have a great opportunity for you to contribute to our continued legacy of innovation.
The Otis Passenger Experience team leads the delivery of high impact products and incubates innovative concepts that enhance passenger experience and satisfaction for Otis’ global customers. Products and concepts developed by the team focus on: digital interaction, physical human interface and intuitive behavior with work spanning the disciplines of engineering (software, electrical, mechanical and systems), marketing, UI/UX design and information technology.
Passenger Experience team members are working to:
- Reinvent the user experience and interaction design for passengers with the elevator system and physical building environments
- Provide stewardship of raw design, UI/UX, mobile app, sensor and interface concepts from idea creation through rapid prototyping and requirements development, helping to define priorities, identify business needs and manage technical risk
- Contribute to integrated product development teams to quickly develop and deploy products. Helping with other functions, project leadership, budgeting, project planning, project management of development activities may be involved
- Skillfully solve problems, own projects and pro-actively manage up and across to other team members
Our summer interns will own a project from start-to-finish working cross-functional teams (engineering, marketing, IT, UI/UX Design, etc.) to prototype, research, understand and provide solutions in one of the following areas within the context of elevator passenger experience: (1) mobile apps and mobile interfaces or (2) physical interfaces such as touchscreens; (3) integration of sensors or wireless communication devices within the elevator system; (4) usability and testing for human-centered design; or (5) other. Actual assignments will be based on project priorities at the time of the internship, but every attempt will be made to select projects of mutual benefit.
Candidates should be working towards a BS/BA or MS/MA degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Systems Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, User Experience or other related technical fields. Degrees in other engineering, technical or creative disciplines with strong software, electrical, design or UI/UX experience will also be considered. Students who have completed junior year preferred, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.25 or better in major (out of 4.0).
- Ideal candidate will have strong focus-on-results and teamwork skills. Strength in adaptability, listening and forward thinking preferred.
- Experience with multiple software development languages and an ability to quickly learn new ones preferred.
- Experience with UI/UX design, interaction design, service design, wire-framing, storyboarding, development of personas, A/B testing, and/or customer interviews preferred.
- The candidate must have strong analytical and debugging skills.
- Self-driven; good written and verbal communication skills; strong analytical, logical problem-solving skills and attention to detail are essential.
- Create virtual prototypes. Virtual prototypes will drive customer feedback which drives subsequent prototype iterations until a solution design can be finalized. These virtual prototypes will be used to perform lean experimentation and customer immersion.
- Continually innovates and pushes creative boundaries, actively problem solves, has strong communication and facilitation skills, and works independently and collaboratively with team members/external and internal partners.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organized in a dynamic environment.
- Able to imagine, build, and test unconventional prototypes and evaluation methods
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with internal stakeholders, outside service providers, and customers.
- Demonstrated partnering skills and fostering inclusion on virtual teams with culturally diverse associates.
- Actively seeking diverse interests and experiences outside of the engineering lab, e.g. media, psychology, music, travel, languages – the things that make you unique.
Candidates must be U.S. Citizens or have Permanent Resident status.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.